On the 19th July 2001, 33 years after its original opening, the Carron Tea Rooms on Evan Street re-opened its doors.
The restoration was due to the vision and determination of local Stonehaven residents (and current owners) Jack Morrison and his partner Jean Rowan. The pains-taking restoration, which cost over £1 million, has saved one of the finest buildings of its kind.
The architectural design created by Colonel H.S. Tawse and Mr Mackie of Messrs Tawse & Allan together with internal designer Mr Bowman of Messrs Macdonald & Cresswick of Edinburgh can now be enjoyed by current and future generations in its original Art Deco setting where in past years it provided elegance, serenity, luxury and modernity even a hint of "risqué" with the "mystic nude lady" etched onto a large interior mirror.
The decor is based on the interior of a luxury liner. Charles Cameron Ballie, who created luxury interiors for cruise ships, made the style popular in the 1930's. 498 light bulbs reflected by thousands of tiny glass tiles, set within columns, illuminate the whole interior to evening diners.
Professor Charles McKean an eminent Scottish architectural historian describes the Carron Tea Room as "a rare example" and the... "Finest Art Deco patterned glazing surviving in Scotland"