In front of the old Town House stands the plain base and shaft of the old Mercat Cross dating from 1645.
As in other Scots towns the Mercat Cross was the hub of municipal affairs in bygone days and the scene of feudal government.
" The market crosse to be the place at the whilk all citations, charges, denunciations of hornings (infidelities) and others whatsomerver..."
On October 28th 1651 proclamation was made from the Cross, of the attempt by the Commonwealth to incorporate Scotland with England and called upon the burgh of Stonehaven to elect representatives of integrity disposed to the welfare and peace to appear at Dalkeith to agree to the proposed Union. In the winter of 1715 one of the most fateful proclamations was made when the "Old Pretender" was declared King James VIII by John Maule the local Procurator-fiscal.