In 1933, the Stonehaven Town Council, to ensure that the Town maintained its premier resort status in the North East, Commissioned Mr R. R. Gall of Gregory & Gall Architects to design a Swimming Pool 165ft long by 60ft wide, with a varied depth of 2ft 9 inches to 9ft 6 inches.
A poll of Stonehaven Householders voted in favour of the pool by 656 to 539 and the construction, by Wm Tawse Ltd, started in February 1934. The Grand Opening on June 2nd 1934 was done by Mr.C M Barclay-Harvey MP. 320,000 gallons of water was used to fill the pool taking nearly 3hrs. 2,300 people witnessed the opening and over 60,000 spectators attended the first season outnumbering swimmers three to one.
The advent of circulated, filtered, disinfected and "heated" water pushed the 1935 season attendances to 100,000 bathers and spectators. A record of 3000 attended in one day. Today while attendances are a fraction of past glories. The Pool still operates thanks to the support from Aberdeenshire Council, Friends of the Pool and local companies.
For more info see: www.stonehavenopenairpool.co.uk